Friday, February 08, 2008

Baby, will you come out soon?

Come out to play!! We've been waiting almost 9 long months now, and we can finally count the days left on our fingers. We're hoping for an extra special Valentine's Day present this year. or earlier. Any day now would be just grand...


So, no ultrasound since what, last September? Mommy and Daddy are obviously eager to see what this little guy looks like, sounds like, smells like... I know, every parent out there is telling me to be patient and keep him in there as long as possible. But now that he's almost here, we can hardly contain our excitement. Is it strange that I'm sitting here, hoping that I'll feel a contraction soon? don't laugh.


Questions, questions, questions. So.. the doc said to me at my 36 week checkup, "Uh, Sarah... this is definitely not a small baby." In his estimate, if this guy comes out past his due date, like closer to 41+ weeks, it's looking closer to 9 lbs. Although, he says (with a wink) that he's allowed to be off a pound or two. That... is a bit intimidating to a first-time mom. Although, it's hard to believe the baby is that big. I don't feel that big (well, most of the time). And I haven't gained much weight, really. 20 pounds? Ever since my belly started growing, my stomach started shrinking, so IF my baby is really that big, well... it really must be all baby down there.


So, we've been discussing the option of an induction, just in case he doesn't pop out this next week. Not really jumping at the idea, but our doc says since he's a big one, he wants to mitigate any birth complications, and according to him there's no downside... since i'm ready to go, baby's positioned well, only getting bigger, and i'm already 3cm dialated. maybe more than you wanted to know, but there you have it. Any words of wisdom out there?


Question number 2: to have an epidural or to not? I'd like to try without. but i'm open to it. haha. doesn't say much about my stance, huh. I guess I'm just going to go with the flow and figure things out along the way. I know that any pain I have to endure will be far outweighed by bringing this new love into the world. Plus, this pregnancy has been smooth as butter so far (lucky me!!!) so hopefully it'll be a pleasant experience all around.


I'm 39 and 1 today. And I think we're both as ready as we can be. :)


1 comment:

The Durbin Family said...

Sarah!! No, you are not weird at all for wanting to have the contractions start! I am only 28 weeks and I'm already wanting to meet this little one! :) Jack was almost 9 lbs when he was born, so don't worry--not impossible! :) I would much prefer NOT be induced, as it just makes the contractions more intense and there's no rest in between them. They did end up putting a little picotin in for me to prod things along as I got stuck around 6 cm, I think, and that's when I began BEGGING for the epidural.

I do have to say, regarding "to epidural-it or not," I think if you are open to it, there's a bigger chance you'll use it. :) The only reason I labored without it with Ellie is because I got to the hospital too late! Up until then I had completely planned to have an epidural, but since it was out of my hands, I'm glad I experienced it without--got to feel much more and knew when I needed to push and could feel her moving down the birth canal and pushing against my ribs with her feet as I pushed (lovely image, huh?). I am hoping to try again without the epidural this time, because I liked feeling more a "part" of things, but we'll see.

I will say that I was glad I had the epidural the first time around, as things are sometimes scary and uncertain as it's the first time, and it's nice to have a little relief to help you relax and rest. I think it also depends on how LONG your labor is; if things progress quickly enough I don't think an epidural is as "necessary" (i.e. I would rather avoid it if it's all going to be over soon!). BUT...if your labor is long (like with Jack's--almost 20 hours) then it might be better to get one so that you can rest and keep your stamina. I ended up sleeping for a solid hour when I got my epidural, during which time I dilate from a 6 to a 10!! :)

That is WAY more information than you probably wanted, and most likely the longest blog comment ever. Why do we moms love to share our birth experience/advice/opinions so much?? :) Who knows. Probably because it is one of the most amazing, exhilarating experiences we'll have.

Hope some of this helps. Can't wait to see pictures of the little guy!